Reply to post: Change Management

The Register guide to software-defined infrastructure

Mark 110

Change Management

Change Management doesn't go away just because you are doing SDI. It just needs to keep up. Its always been about assessing Risk and Impact and putting the appropriate governance in place to make sure the changes are assigned off at the correct level of expertise and accountability.

In order to 'keep up' you just need processes in place to make those 20 day approval lead times come down to two days. Not easy, but not impossible, and the DevOps crowd are looking hard at how they make their rapid implementation lifecycles work with a risk averse Service Management organisation. I could tell you more but I skipped the conference I was invited to on the subject last year.

The power for me in software defined is once you have defined you can implement your test environments in days instead of weeks, and given correct change control and configuration manageement, over the definition, when you come to implement on production you have a greater level of assurance that Production will be a 99.999% replica of the environment you tested on.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon