Reply to post: Re: I think it's a shame

Debian Linux founder Ian Murdock dead at 42

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: I think it's a shame

"If you assault a police officer, you are normally not going to be treated well by them"

You clearly haven't had any dealings with the police. Assault charges do not necessarily mean that the accused did any assaulting whatsoever. Assault charges are commonly used to pre-emptively discredit a witness and weaken their case for suing the tits off of the police for THEIR assault. And there is also the "assaulting the policeman's boot with your face/head/privates" flavour too. This will happen when the victim is either alone or when any witnesses are not going to come forward; and basically comes down to the word of the victim versus the word of several policemen; who will be backing each other up.

This has happened to me and quite apart from the travesty of justice; being thoroughly stitched up by the very people who are paid to stop that sort of thing; and the -basically- being forced to pay for being beaten up there is a longer-term danger in that "assaulting the police" becomes part of your records...this ensures that any future dealings are likely to go badly....even "good" police will see that assault charge and will not know how genuine it is, so will be more hair-trigger in their approach and the bad ones will just straight up come out swinging.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon