Reply to post:

Microsoft in 2015: Mobile disasters, Windows 10 and heads in the clouds

P. Lee Silver badge

If you want the latest AAA FPS then Windows is going to be your choice. And by "AAA" I mean over-rated and over-priced franchise engines (Hello BlackOps you "barely-interactive-just-run-around-because-there's-no-point-shooting-anything" thing.) which haven't been updated for the last five years. Meh.

Having said that, looking down my list of installed linux games... Witcher, TALOS, XCOM, Bioshock, Worms :), all the Valve stuff, Strike Suit Zero, Torchlight, Trine, Metro, Serious Sam :), Defence Grid, Stanley Parable, Penumbra, Killing Floor - there's quite a lot out there.

I've found WINE isn't a great option for games. Perhaps I just haven't fiddled enough.

I see no particular reason not to take MS' offer of W7->W10 upgrade just to keep current, but all that its going to run on it is Steam for a few of the nostalgia games which haven't been ported - Magika, Lara Croft, Monkey Island. I'm not trusting it with any serious data and I'm certainly not going to run it day-to-day as my main OS. Its just a wrapper for some games - the right tool for the job. Eventually, I hope that vmware player is going to be up to the job.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019