Reply to post: Re: Server room snooze

Software engineer sobers up to deal with 2:00 AM trouble at mill

jake Silver badge

Re: Server room snooze

::heh:: Reminded me of one call ...

Late1994, 1:30am. ... Call from a company that I upgraded the server farm for a week earlier. Nothing could communicate with the outside world. This was in the very early world of ubiquitous internet access.

From 20ish miles away, I eyeballed the weather report (29F, possible sleat/hail)) & pulled on pants, T-shirt, thermals, wool trousers, button-down shirt (just in case), wool sweater & my racing leathers. Pop on a balaclava & helmet & good to go.

Park bike in the CEO's space in the underground garage & convince the security dude that I'm actually supposed to be there.

In the server room, everything was humming ... except outside connectivity.

It wasn't running, so I unplugged the outside connectivity, and plugged the TDR into the incoming T1 line. About 250 feet between me & a break. It's MUCH more that 250 feet between between the underground garage and the server room ... I needed to head for the roof.

I found the incoming T1 line on the roof of a 10 story building. It was bolted to the top of the elevator shaft. Trying to trace this thing from the roof down wasn't fun ... it took about three hours. I finally discovered there was a punch-down block at the TOP! of the shaft! I had to stand on the roof of the elevator to fix it. Corrosion, of course.

Back down to verify connectivity, and back up to pick up my tools. Soft tool bag looked comfy, I was warm, I fell asleep with it as a pillow. On top of the parked elevator.

CEO threw a shit-fit because I "stole" his parking place ... and because I hadn't reset the power to to the elevator, so he had to walk to the 10th floor ... I had the elevator on the way down about the same time he was on the 8th floor, completely oblivious that the moron was even present.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon