Reply to post: Re: basic english comprehension @ X7

Windows for Warships? Not on our new aircraft carriers, says MoD

Kiwi

Re: basic english comprehension @ X7

Kiwi, I'm beginning to suspect you are a crank. Using document templates is a requirement at most businesses because they require consistency. Templates do not exist in Wordpad. Using a template is what the peons do; nobody in their right senses would describe using required corporate templates as "power users".

I think you have missed the point. Badly.

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT BUSINESSES, I AM TALKING ABOUT THE AVERAGE/MOST COMMON OFFICE USERS, IE HOME USERS

Can it be stated more clearly than that?

Also, in recent times I have had to spend a lot of time watching my Dr write letters. Every one he has written for me has been from scratch. Now, prescriptions and all sorts of other things follow set forms, that's fine.

But he is still not the most common type of office user.

MS Works has not been bundled with home computers for some time, and in 4 years directly working with home comptuers and more than 20 working elsewhere, I am yet to come across even one with Works or a full Office "bundled". I have not seen a bundled trial version of Works ever.

A very quick look over Google will tell you very quickly that MS Works has been discontinued, pre-Win8 (and I do mean quick). So, you cannot buy Works and it does not come pre-bundled. A lot of people are sold on the idea of using Office (why was Office released to home users in the first place? ISTR that it was something to do with people wanting what they had at work on their home machine as well). So there's your why...

As to people using Access, all I can say is that there's a common complaint on El Reg and elsewhere about people using spreadsheets where a database would do a good job. With the business customers I deal with they are using the likes of MYOB (it has been 10 years since I supported that so I cannot recall what the DB backend is, but IIRC it was some sort of proprietary one but ICWBW).

Where I can I try to sell people on LO instead of MSO, simply because it does what most people need, is mostly compatible with MSO for most peoples needs, and is free.

But the point still hasn't been addressed. You've gone on about some business users, you've claimed that home users don't use office (must tell MS that - they could save all sorts of money on their Home & Student etc versions since no one uses them!), you've (rightly) said that LO is great for most people.

But what is it that most office users do that requires anything more than Wordpad?

Oh, and btw.. with your forms and automation etc.. HTML forms are great for that. No need to load up a 200Mb office application when a 10 50 er, 199Mb web browser can do the job! Which, btw, is what my Dr uses when he is filling in forms. I've watched him do it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon