Reply to post:

T'was the night before Christmas, and an industrial control system needed an upgrade

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I was providing on call support to an east coast US company on new year’s eve a while ago. At 3am (on new year's day their time) a manager was bored and decided to log into is work account just to see what was happening with some automated processes. He found an issue which meant that the process would have to be stopped, corrected and then would have to be monitored closely until it was completed. He proceeded to give me a call and that was me for the next twenty hours baby sitting a process that never worked correctly but we weren't allowed to fix but it needed constant tinkering to keep running. The following year I wasn’t on the team anymore but got a call from my old team manager asking for help on boxing day because the only other person in the company who knew anything about it wasn’t picking up. Told him that my knowledge was hopeless outdated, gave him what I could remember and said goodbye. When I got back to work the next day I put in my out of hours call form which for the team I was on should have been £200 (the amount we got depended on how likely a call was, more likely meant less money but more T.O.I.L.). Instead my old manager processed it as if I was still on his team and I got £10. Not working there anymore.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon