Reply to post: Re: Linux Mint

Microsoft steps up Windows 10 nagging

Jess

Re: Linux Mint

I just installed Linux Mint for the first time in a couple of years and I just realised why I find Windows 10 so familiar, and pleasant to use.

The interface is virtually identical. (OK, the search is at the top of the menu panel in Mint).

Obviously Mint itself was based on the look and feel of an interface somewhere between that of Windows 2000 and XP. So they can't really complain too much about the 'Tribute' interface.

I have upgraded several machines from 8.1 to 10, and all of them required using the Media Creation Tool to force it. (Oddly, no-one has asked me to upgrade Windows 7 to it).

I have yet to see the nag screen do anything other than say you are in a queue.

Do they have some means of detecting those who actually want the system and make it hard for them, while forcing it on those who don't?

The complaints about Windows 10 after the upgrade are due to the bundled software being replaced by less functional alternatives. (Inferior photo app, loss of DVD support) But to be fair, the same is true of the latest OS X. (iPhoto won't run, even if you have a paid for version).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019