Reply to post: Re: They're not helping themselves here.

Microsoft steps up Windows 10 nagging

dan1980

Re: They're not helping themselves here.

@Keef

Well and good and none of this has anything to do with how good the Win 10 OS is in and of itself. It's all about how MS views the users and the attitude the take with regards to how much control those users should have.

You say you have 3 home PCs running windows 10 and I'm glad that they're running well, but that's 15GB worth of downloads that happened and to many, they happened without their knowledge and without any meaningful approval.

That's more than my sister's download cap and for my father, who lives in a semi-rural area and can only get ADSL1, it would not breach his cap but it would take WEEKS and slow his connection to a crawl. My partner travels and uses a tethered phone for access while away and if this downloaded while using that connection, that would be a ridiculous extra charge.

MS might SAY that it's all spelled out and obvious but it's really not, as evidenced by the fact that I have people who just didn't realise that it was going to download or install and have literally turned on their PC and seen the new OS and been utterly unprepared for that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019