Reply to post:

Old jet bits, Vader's motorbike gear, sonic oddness: Hats off to Star Wars' creative heroes

I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Congratulations on mentioning the sound design.

I channel-hopped to a film the other day (ah yes, the 70s King Kong film), where the goodie walks across a big tree trunk that's been laid over a ravine. The sound effects of his footsteps were of a man in a very echoey room, walking across a polished floor. I presume they were on a budget and got rushed. I found it strangely jarring.

Not that Star Wars exactly had much of a budget. But the sound was consistently excellent. And iconic. I also remember really enjoying the nice sounds, even more than the visuals, when playing Tie Fighter, and whichever the FPS game was in the late 90s.

In general the sets were also amazing. Particularly as it wasn't a big budget production. Although I'd quibble with the realism thing on one major point. Space is dangerous, and I presume they're using artificial gravity - but surely the designs should be a bit more fail-safe. So maybe smaller rooms. Although at least in the Star Wars universe they've managed to invent the humble seat belt, something that seems to have been lost in the intervening time between now and Starfleet getting going. Is it because they don't want the Klingons to call them sissies?

Also, why do people insist on designing their space stations with lethal multiple-storey drops scattered about all over the place. And very few guard rails. No high-vis marking on the edges of steps (or lethal 15 storey drops). I guess Vader got annoyed with all the Health & Safety types - I can't imagine anyone long survivng the utterance of, "Lord Vader, you have failed your compliance testing"...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon