Reply to post:

France mulls tighter noose around crypto

dan1980

@AC the second.

"Hyper-awareness is actually the norm for many animals; otherwise, they get eaten."

Yes, animals.

And yes otherwise they get eaten.

So if an inference that hyper-awareness is justified in humans depends on the aptness of the analogy (that animals must be that way or else they are eaten) then the strength of the argument is reliant on showing that humans face a comparable level of threat as do animals.

We both agree that we should be conscious of the dangers but where we differ is in the degree to which we should address those dangers. You imply that we must be "hyper aware" and that we "HAVE to live in paranoia".

Part of my belief that we, as humans, don't have to react as animals do is that, well, we don't have to; we have a, so far as we know, a unique ability to think further, beyond the consequences immediately facing us and to the consequences for the whole community.

Another part is that we simply don't face the same level of threat "get[ting] eaten" as many animals do. We don't have to worry constantly for our lives when we are out eating, as a zebra on a savannah does, or that a meerkat does on the prairie.

We, as humans have a choice in how to react. We have a choice to think beyond ourselves and a choice not to give in to fear and paranoia; to not view every other human as a potential threat to be scrutinised and assessed and guarded against.

But that choice is also a responsibility - to each other - to use that choice to make the world better rather than worse. Being afraid is not a weakness in itself and you are free to make that choice privately and act accordingly, locking yourself up indoors, being ever ready for the attack to come. But don't insist that I should have my life scrutinised and recorded because you are scared that someone might harm you.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon