Reply to post: Re: Consumer version soon please

128GB DDR4 DIMMs have landed so double your RAM cram plan

James O'Shea

Re: Consumer version soon please

"Complete and utter lie, every version of windows was always slower than the previous version on the same specification with the possible exception of Vista->windows 7 upgrade."

Errm... this is not correct. I have on the desk next to the Mac I'm typing this on an Asus A53SD laptop, currently fitted with 8 GB RAM and 1TB drive. The drive is partitioned into a Win 7 Ultimate and a Win 10 Pro (formerly Win 8.1 Pro) bootable partitions. It has a quad-core i7 running at 2.2 GHz. It quite simply runs Win 10 (and used to run Win 8.1) faster than Win 7.

Let me repeat that: Win 8.1 used to, and Win 10 still does, run faster, on exactly the same hardware, as Win 7. I have verified this experimentally by actually checking the times to boot the system and to load and use assorted software, from Microsoft and others, running on _exactly_ the same hardware. The system shipped with Win 7 Home Premium; first thing was that I updated it to Win 7 Ultimate. I put Win 8 on the other partition. Win 8 stank, so I usually used Win 7. When the Win 8.1 upgrade came out, I installed that, not expecting much improvement. However, once it became clear that I could banish the damn tiles to Sinofsky's deepest hell, the simple fact that Win 8.1 Pro was faster at most things won me over. I updated to Win 10 Pro, and cleaned up the spyware... and Win 10 is actually faster, on the same hardware, than Win 8.1. Which means that it's faster, on the same hardware, than Win 7, and not by a small margin, either.

And this particular machine is four years old, hardly newer hardware.

Your statement runs directly contrary to my actual, day-in, day-out, experience. There are a lot of things to dislike about Windows in general and Win 10 un particular. it is, however, simply untrue to state that it is slower, on the same hardware, than Win 7. (At least, as long as the hardware is adequate. If you try to run Win 10 on a knackered old Pentium 4 system with 2 GB RAM and 250 GB drive, you _will_ be sorry. And, yes, I tried that just to see what would happen. It wasn't pretty. I put Win XP back on that old machine and it behaves much better. The thing is, Win 7 and Win 8.1 didn't work very well on that machine, either, and for the same reason that Win 10 didn't like it: the hardware dates from 2005 and is well past its sell-by date.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon