Reply to post: Re: Could you give us the reason and the rebuttal for why US workers are being terminated?

Ex-IT staff claim Disney fired them then gave their jobs H-1B peeps

LucreLout

Re: Could you give us the reason and the rebuttal for why US workers are being terminated?

@elDog

In fact my emphasis was that many people that come here with H1- B visas are better trained than their US counterparts.

Training != Competency, which has a far higher correlation with experience than it does training.

I learned a whole raft of languages, then moved on to classic ASP & COM+, before retraining and working with .NET. I'm now adding in Python and Java to my skills by doing a few training courses on the train.

The training will take a few weeks at most, after which I'll be able to build systems in Java using all the same coding techniques that produce proper systems, such as SOLID, design patterns, limiting method size & qty of parameters before refactoring etc etc Those latter skills take rather longer to master than another language syntax and framework.

Training is cheap and quick to acquire. 20 years experience is not. Importing cheap labour or offshoring the job to cheap jurisdictions is done solely to cut cost. It's not about quality, because the quality isn't there. It's not about training, because that can be had onshore in a matter of days. It's just about cost.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon