Reply to post:

Yahoo! Mail! is! still! a! thing!, tries! blocking! Adblock! users!

Neil Barnes Silver badge

A good thought, for those who have unlimited bandwidth and fast links all the time; there may be more subtle approaches which might be considered.

Nonetheless, I remain with adblock firmly on, along with noscript, and my browsing is a much happier (and not coincidentally faster) experience.

Dear websites: your job, on the whole, is to make money for your shareholders/owners. You have chosen, by and large, to make that money from advertising, on the assumption that your provided service is sufficiently enticing that I will watch the supplied advertising.

I will accept, from a retailer, internal advertising - but that's it. I don't want to see it if I am not on your site, and believe me I am not in a 'relationship' with you that gives you the right to bombard me with spam after the event.

I have never seen a site whose content will persuade me to suffer advertising, and I don't expect to. There are only one or two sites - this has been one of them - for which I would pay; and even then, please remember that the majority of the internet is nothing more than entertainment. The total costs I would be prepared to pay, for my *entire* internet use, should be on the order of the BBC licence fee; a few pence per day.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon