Reply to post: PR luvvie

Taxi for NASA! SpaceX to fly astronauts to space station

bazza Silver badge

PR luvvie

"When Crew Dragon takes NASA astronauts to the space station in 2017, they will be riding in one of the safest, most reliable spacecraft ever flown."

Sounds like PR bullshit to me. The most reliable rockets ever flown are the Arianne 4, 5 and Soyuz launchers. There's no way Space X can launch enough flights in the next year to gain a statistically significant success rate to even begin to compare themselves with the others.

Richard Feynman had a thing or two to say about PR and space. Quote:

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled."

I hope NASA and SpaceX haven't forgotten that. And I hope that whoever volunteers to sit at the top of that thing doesn't forget it either and goes and takes a real close look at SpaceX's quality assurance procedures. As other people have pointed out SpaceX haven't got a good reputation for reliability yet. SpaceX have themselves admitted that their last failure was down to inadequate quality assurance. Have they really managed to fix all theirs problems of that sort in just 5 months? Hmmmmmm.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019