Reply to post: Re: A really poor place to have such infrastructure anyway

Telecity fix nixed: Borked UK internet hub 'had no UPS protection'

streaky

Re: A really poor place to have such infrastructure anyway

Yes it is. The Thames Barrier has already come close to be overtopped a few times and unless they

I lived right next to it when it was at the highest level ever recorded and I can assure you it was never close to overtopping - and even if that happened it would be limited volume. You're confusing total breach with some water goes over it and you're just wrong anyway; it did not happen there was over a meter to spare. It probably needs replacing in the future but that date isn't now and there's no immediate threat. It's being closed more frequently but that doesn't equate to risk of actual flood merely risk that London would flood if it wasn't closed - and even then it's precautionary and have you seen how raised up above the water line the peninsula is at high tide? There's no risk here and the flood risk maps confirm this.

The barrier is closed at low tide so there's enormous capacity for extra water even if it did overtop - but again that isn't going to happen within a significant period. You know the barrier isn't watertight right?

Well I work near it and I can't see this "serious" security you're talking about.

Well then you're not paying attention - I'm not going to sit here and explain them for fairly obvious reasons. Telecity could probably do more to their own premises in the area and the government should probably directly help them with that but the peninsula itself has various passive and active protections that you'll see if you're paying attention. Plus frankly who only uses a single site anyways.

which looks in better shape than that latest Bond movie suggests :)

Spoilers. :p

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon