Reply to post: Re: "Actually, yes it is."

Uber Australia is broke: 'We don't pay tax because we don't generate revenue'

Pompous Git Silver badge

Re: "Actually, yes it is."

See here. Don't know what it's like in the rest of the world, but I'd imagine it's much the same. Withholding my tax contribution would more accurately meet the definition of theft, than government taxation does.

Back in the 1960s when I first started work here in the Land of Under, the annual taxation return stated that it was a "taxation and superannuation" return. Then, a few decades ago, the government realised that it had spent our superannuation on other shit, so they introduced compulsory superannuation in addition to taxation. IOW they had pocketed Australian taxpayers superannuation funds.

Some of the contracts I worked were for NGOs who insisted that part of my income be paid into their preferred super fund and I ended up having money in several. However, since these were small contracts, the amount was insufficient for the interest to cover the requisite service fees, so the amount held decreased over time. I eventually managed to have them all consolidated into one fund, but not before losing a significant percentage of what I had paid in.

But I count myself lucky. I have a neighbour who worked for the same company for many years. Upon his retirement, the super fund he had been required to pay into went titsup. He never received a cent.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon