Reply to post: Re: Using toys as tools... @Pott

iPad data entry errors caused plane to strike runway during takeoff

Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Using toys as tools... @Pott

"Yes. It can. Provide proof if you want to be taken seriously."

The proof is in Windows' own history. Even on systems configured with WSUS or System Center it has installed patches against the express configurations of administrators. I've seen this myself and there have been plenty of similar complaints to litter the net. Google is your friend.

In addition, Microsoft has very clearly and publicly violated the sanctity of the update process for non-enterprise versions of Windows. Repeatedly. And done so against the express configurations of users. The number of times that you need to "hide" Windows 10 patches (because some other patch unhides them and they then reinstall in the next go) is insane. For that matter, downloading and installing an entire operating system against your will is not cool. Doubly so over mobile connections.

A company that does these things can't be trusted to provide a patch system that installs what you want and only what you want and does so only on a schedule you provide.

And for the record "installing only what you want" is far more important than when it installs. If it installs things you haven't vetted and are 100% certain work you're hosed.

"You're implying that instead you trust Apple in a life-and-death situation. That's beyond stupid. And this even isn't a critical system."

No, you don't actually read entire posts. I am saying, and have said multiple times, that the iPad is the best of a bunch of terrible choices, and that I trust them far more than Microsoft. Trusting Microsoft ever is beyond stupid.

"Except that the device doesn't last the entire flight as you've been told."

Except that it does. We've been told by a pilot that these devices are used for more thank just initial input. Thanks, but go fuck yourself.

"Try not to insult at first."

Why not? You have no issues with it. Or are you just aiming for claiming some moral high ground because you have nothing to offer except your own personal (and misplaced) trust of Microsoft? Brand tribalism is a piss-poor reason to choose technology.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon