Reply to post: Re: You are an idiot, truly speaking out of your arse.

Big Bang left us with a perfect random number generator

Pompous Git Silver badge

Re: You are an idiot, truly speaking out of your arse.

Actually, if you read what I wrote, you will find I have done no such thing. I wrote:

Philip K Dick thought that Stanisław Lem was a false name used by a committee operating on orders of the Communist party to gain control over public opinion. Lem described American science fiction as ill-thought-out, poorly written, and interested more in making money than in ideas or new literary forms. So it goes...

Both of those propositions are well-supported, you have presented no evidence that they are false. You merely attempted to insult me.

Listen, if you want to insult me, you are going to have to try a lot harder I'm afraid. You are up against some very stiff competition. Back in the mid-1970s my landlady called me the syphilitic offspring of a mongoloid whore's melt. My response: "You make me feel homesick; my mummy used to speak to me like that!"

What I have admitted to was misremembering which particular essay of Lem 's I had read. Mea culpa. The 1970s were a long time ago. The essay I found was more of the same but without naming so many names. It was still Lem describing American science fiction as ill-thought-out, poorly written, and interested more in making money than in ideas or new literary forms. Actually, the idea that American science fiction writers were only in it for the money is itself laughable. Back in the day, most had day jobs, often as practising scientists, hence the pen names.

We were also discussing (I thought) Ursula K le Guin. Now you appear to be discussing Ursula le Guinne. Never heard of her. Oh wait, isn't she the one who wrote the Dark Hand of Leftness and The Word for World is Foreign?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon