Reply to post: Re: Facebook - "if you're concerned about how anything on facebook could be misused,,...

The Edward Snowden guide to practical privacy

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Facebook - "if you're concerned about how anything on facebook could be misused,,...

...then you shouldn't be on facebook."

That would be 99.999999999% of all facebook users then...including geeks, tinhats, etc.

I was recently added to a group of people that all know me and each other. The purpose was to share each others full address and phone details! I kid you not.

When I said I would not share my details, unless an alternative secure method was agreed, I was ridiculed multiple times by each and every one of the group including those who work in IT.

They all seemed to think that privacy is: a) a joke, b) unnecessary, c) for paranoid losers. They then go back to their traditional newspaper that spouts lies to them on a daily basis, bury their heads in the sand and refuse to believe what is real, preferring the fantasy of illusion presented to them.

I was shocked at the outright refusal to believe that even basic identity theft could be a problem for any of them if any of their FB accounts were to be hacked. Said hacker would have each and every address, phone number, name and email. (S)He could go a long, long way with such information, but no, that could never happen. How stupid I was to even suggest it...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019