Reply to post: Re: So the world's biggest software companies

Google open sources machine learning software

Infernoz Bronze badge
Alien

Re: So the world's biggest software companies

They will probably eventually hit some nasty hard limits on digital data size and processing, then they crash!

Even just one of our relatively large and greedy analogue brains, for our body size, to allow consciousness, are still many orders of magnitude smaller, lower power, and probably the same for processing and memory capacity, than all the digital computers on Earth!

Many orders of magnitude faster digital clock speeds and increases in memory density are very improbable because we are already getting closer to the expected physical density limits of semiconductor components in solid state materials, thus the stop-gap move wider to multi-core CPUs and computer clusters. I doubt that 3D chips and fluid cooling will provide enough increase, so I think that fear of conscious digital computer AI or skynet is fantasy.

Computers will probably have to become analogue again, with different programming technology, because I doubt that Quantum computers can ever be dense, fast or adaptable enough!

Psychology and brain scans are revealing just how amazingly sophisticated our analogue brains are and by inference even smaller brained animals' brains are too! Some people say they have modelled small living things brains, but have they really, especially the brain plasticity required for learning etc.?!

For example human brain waves appear to not be like a clock signal but rather carrier waves for faster analogue signals via network router like nodes, which self-optimise signal travel time between 3D distributed, /self-rewiring/ brain cells for memory storage and retrieval, and composition. Trying to build this kind of self-adaptive architecture ourselves would probably be very very hard.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon