Reply to post: Re: Will the teachers get refunds?

Victorian government teacher-laptop scheme illegal, says judge

dan1980

Re: Will the teachers get refunds?

@ Arachnoid

While I appreciate what you are saying and understand that you are (likely) disapproving of what you suggest may happen, it does prompt the question of how a 'support fee' for personal, BYOD laptops would fit.

As per my above comment, if you are required to have a certain, specific piece of equipment to do your job then that should be provided. Teachers need computers to do their jobs these days. And I don't just mean that they need them to work with 'interactive classrooms of the future' or any such buzzword laden ideas; I mean just in the basic, day-to-day dispensation of their duties.

There is more to teaching than just standing in front of a class talking to students and sending them to the principal when they are little twerps. Even if you wrote up all your lesson plans with a pen and paper and submitted written copies of exam questions to the administrative staff to typeset and print out, you still have to interact with the internal systems which, like those of almost every other modern organisation of more than a handful of people, are overwhelmingly electronic.

That means that to plan periods, you have to use the computer-based systems; and to record student attendance, you have to use the computer-based systems; and to submit student grades and generate reports, you have to use the computer-based systems; and to receive and respond to important announcements and instructions and policies, you have to use the computer-based systems; and to request leave and arrange cover for classes, you have to @ Arachnoid

While I appreciate what you are saying and understand that you are (likely) disapproving of what you suggest may happen, it does prompt the question of how a 'support fee' for personal, BYOD laptops would fit.

As per my above comment, if you are required to have a certain, specific piece of equipment to do your job then that should be provided. Teachers need computers to do their jobs these days. And I don't just mean that they need them to work with 'interactive classrooms of the future' or any such buzzword laden ideas; I mean just in the basic, day-to-day dispensation of their duties.

There is more to teaching than just standing in front of a class talking to students and sending them to the principal when they are little twerps. Even if you wrote up all your lesson plans with a pen and paper and submitted written copies of exam questions to the administrative staff to typeset and print out, you still have to interact with the internal systems which, like those of almost every other modern organisation of more than a handful of people, are overwhelmingly electronic.

That means that to plan periods, you have to use the computer-based systems; and to record student attendance, you have to use the computer-based systems; and to submit student grades and generate reports, you have to use the computer-based systems; and to receive and respond to important announcements and instructions and policies, you have to use the computer-based systems.

And, while these functions are not directly involved in teaching, they are essential requirements of a teacher's employment and failure to perform these tasks will lead to reprimand and, ultimately, dismissal.

Thus a teacher needs the use of a computer simply to accomplish the mandatory tasks of the role and so it is entirely the responsibility of the employer to provide the employee with those resources necessary - a computer.

And so, in that framework and that framework only, can a charge for BYOD support be even entertained - though still not justified by that alone. The idea of charging extra is saying that this is a privilege that the employees are being offered, but the most important part is that the exercise of this privilege must be entirely optional - i.e. the employees (teachers) should not need to supply there own laptop - in whatever way.

Making teachers' lives easier is an investment in education as a whole; give them the tools they need to do their jobs. End of story.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019