Reply to post: Re: Apple tax

Victorian government teacher-laptop scheme illegal, says judge

Maventi

Re: Apple tax

@LaeMing

It would seem that way at a glance, but my experience with schools shows that this often isn't the case. I've spent far less time fixing Macs than Windows PCs in dealing with schools, to the point that many schools now refuse to support Windows due to the extra work it creates. Not my decision but theirs.

This is with the Macs having no centralised control and simply providing a Time Machine service for those staff using Macs to use. And when I say difference, we are literally talking weekly callouts for Windows versus one or two a year for the Macs.

Now for the caveats. I haven't worked with Windows 10 so can't comment there, and this is in smaller schools without dedicated IT staff so Windows may be a bit easier in bigger institutions if there are some dedicated sysadmins in command.

However I just wanted to point out that many tech folks get pretty obsessed with being overly controlling of their endpoints, when often a combination of good equipment, a little bit of trust and a willing to try alternatives can really go a long way.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon