Reply to post: Fellow vegetarian here

Boffins solve bacon crisis with newly-patented plant

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Fellow vegetarian here

and yes, I eat Qourn and many other substitutes. For me it has absolutely nothing to do with the flavor, or supposed thereof, it has to do with protein intake; those "meat substitutes" are pretty much the only mainstream (readily available and purchased) high protein foodstuffs available to us.

Words cannot describe how tired I am of going into a restaurant that claims to have vegetarian food options available, only to find a list of side dishes and salads - where the hell is the protein?! I note that you add meat proteins to EVERYTHING yet there is none, not one, on the vegetarian list. Vegetarians are apparantly supposed to be able to subsist on carbs and fiber alone!

I work out and am constantly aware of my protein needs, I guess they figure most vegetarians don't bodybuild. So, therefore, all those "meat substitutes" are in my diet because that's the way the food industry, from producers to the sellers, wants to market any type of vegetarian protein to me, as fake "meat". I can't stand the ones that are very close to "real" flavor (don't know how else to say that) but the ones that aren't too close, or not meat flavored at all (like Morningstar Farms Veggie patties) are my favorites. Beans, nuts and legumes are protein sources, as well as eggs and dairy, but there is only so much of that you can eat every day (beans and legumes are bulky, nuts are fatty, eggs can change your cholesterol and I try to stay away from dairy).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon