Reply to post:

'Govt will not pass laws to ban encryption' – Baroness Shields

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Here's how I think it's going to go,

We don't want to ban encryption, companies can use it as long as they keep the keys so we can use them to decrypt whatever we need to in extremis (i.e. if we don't like someone or they disagree with us) and of course we won't use these keys to spy on everything everyone does in case someone talks about the coming pedoterrorarmagedon that we are protecting everyone from.

However we don't see why the general populace needs encryption or to keep their own keys so that needs to stop.

Here's what I don't understand and maybe someone on here with more intelligence than me (probably a hell of a lot) can explain it to me?

What exactly is the problem with encryption?

The way I see it,

A. It keeps my details and data safe whether I have it or a company has it.

B. It stops that script kiddie that has dropped a wifi pineapple from doing lots of damage (though personally I never use "Free Wi-Fi" unless I'm also using my own built secure VPN)

C. They talk like encryption is an internet only thing? After Snowden do they really think IS state are using Whatsapp? Are we supposed to think they are really that stupid?

Also aren't keys on their own a bit useless? I thought that was proved years ago that you had to have an extra level of cycling of keys.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019