Reply to post: Was it intentional though?

Volkswagen enlarges emissions scandal probe: 'Millions' more cars may have cheated

Dick Emery

Was it intentional though?

I'm still trying to get my head around this. Did VW really intend to 'cheat' the system? Or was it a 'feature' used to make the cars low emission when used in built up areas? From my understanding (I Own a Ford Fiesta Zetec Diesel BTW) the cars throw out all the nasty soot the most when over a certain rev count. That is intended only to happen when out on the motorway for instance where there is little if any pedestrian footfall (Unlucky if you live close to a motorway but still). When running low revs most of the time in built up areas the system falls to a low emission mode?

It's all rather puzzling.

BTW do you think we will see a large increase in vehicle licensing for diesels in the near future? I can see a lot of savings on diesels going out of the window (after buying my somewhat overpriced diesel I believe any savings were probably lost anyhow over the course of time).

It seems to me like the entire diesel fiasco was nothing but smoke and mirrors in the end and I should have just stuck with the devil I know.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon