Reply to post: Re: POSIX

Temperature of Hell drops a few degrees – Microsoft emits SSH-for-Windows source code

h4rm0ny
WTF?

Re: POSIX

>>"I smell someone that can't convert Octal in their head..."

I smell someone who hasn't noticed that computers moved on to 16, 32 and 64-bits since the days of ancient IBM mainframes (hint: octal doesn't make sense except when you have a word length that is a multiple if three, e.g. 12, 24, 36-bit machines and you don't seem to have been told we don't use those any more). As it happens I can convert to octal in my head seeing as it's just counting in binary, but I figured as my aim was to explain something rather than score Internet Points, I'd use the friendly notation that GNU/Linux systems themselves actually display it as. Or are Brian Fox and Richard Stallman similarly people who "can't convert Octal in their head" seeing as they chose to use the same notation I did in my post when they put together Bash back in the day?

I don't know which is sadder - your godawful attempts to score points or the implication that a knowledge of octal being an aide to using a permissions says anything positive about the permissions system in question.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019