Reply to post: Could do better

Apple quietly swaps out MacBook Retina displays to fix skin-peeling stains

Marcus Fil

Could do better

..but could do worse. I for one find it frustrating that Apple does not reach out to known customers when there is a problem identifed in specific equipment. I also dislike its habit of time limiting replacement programmes to typically three years. However, I will point out that in the UK Apple is all too aware of the 'Sale of Goods' act; this means if a) your Apple product fails within 6 years of purchase b) ..and is in a batch of products known and, crucially, acknowledged by Apple to have your specific problem Apple will very likely fix the problem for free. I speak from personal experience, and obvioulsy this is only going to benefit you if the problem is genuinely of Apple's making and not old age, abuse etc. It does not mean they are obliged to fix any other problems found at the same time as the repair either - at least not without charging you for those. Note that an Apple 'genius' told me that serial number batches are not gospel in identifying a necessary repair - there may be affected devices just outside either end of the published batch list and Apple normally take a pragmatic view on this.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon