Reply to post: Re: Tool

Microsoft now awfully pushy with Windows 10 on Win 7, 8 PCs – Reg readers hit back

asdf Silver badge

Re: Tool

>"about to turn its back on POSIX."

>@asdf Can you please share a reference?

"Many of my previous projects (including PulseAudio and Avahi) have been written to be portable. Being relieved from the chains that the requirement for portability puts on you is quite liberating. While ensuring portability when working on high-level applications is not necessarily a difficult job it becomes increasingly more difficult if the stuff you work on is a system component (which systemd, PulseAudio and Avahi are).

In fact, the way I see things the Linux API has been taking the role of the POSIX API and Linux is the focal point of all Free Software development. Due to that I can only recommend developers to try to hack with only Linux in mind and experience the freedom and the opportunities this offers you. So, get yourself a copy of The Linux Programming Interface, ignore everything it says about POSIX compatibility and hack away your amazing Linux software. It's quite relieving!"

-- Lennart Poettering (very influential idiot over at Red Hat, the company that just happens to be riding record profits as they strategically pre-empt many other's work over the last two decades by turning GNU/Linux into a Windows like hairball that just happens to causes more and more FOSS to be Linux only, thus causing a profit snowball for Red Hat).

https://lwn.net/Articles/430598/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019