Reply to post: Just my experience

PHONE me if you feel DIRTY: Yanks and 'Nadians wave bye-bye to magstripe

OldSoCalCoder

Just my experience

In a few days I'm driving 200+ miles to one of our locations in California to sit on the phone for an hour and update one card terminal to use this newfangled chip thing. I'm going to be on the phone with tech support from the card processing company that supplies our terminals while we replace the OS. That's two people tied up for one hour. For one terminal. I was told by their tech support that each OS had to be built for each terminal beforehand, and some people were on hold just to talk to support for an hour. Makes me vaguely wonder why the terminal didn't have the update when we received them a year ago, but that's just crazy talk.

A side note - I bought a pair of pants on Sat at a store, they had pin-enable card reader on counter, I went to put my card in slot and clerk said 'Oh, we don't have that working yet. You need to slide your card.' I slide the card. Sun night at 9pm I receive two texts, one call to my cell phone and one to my home phone from the credit card company. Someone had stolen my credit card information and was trying to make purchases. I find that ironic.

Sorry this has nothing to do with Breaking & Entering your own hotel room.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon