Reply to post: Re: I still can't get my head round this one

How long does it take an NHS doctor to turn on a computer?

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: I still can't get my head round this one

(shrugs) that's what you get from an educational system that thinks that teaching people how to use a word processor or a spreadsheet is teaching them all they need to know about IT, and that doesn't even teach them Boolean Algebra to give them some idea of the need for precision when talking about things computery. Not to mention a state that has long seemed to regard teaching arts and humanities as far more important than teaching science and technology. From this, IMHO stems most of the problems with IT-illiterate bosses making poor decisions about IT-related projects that have bedevilled the world this last quarter century or so.

I'm heartened by what I hear of the current push to get more youngsters coding and understanding computing at a reasonably low level. I just wish something could be done about all the thirty-somethings that are essentially clueless about IT despite spending all day using computers to do their daily jobs, most of whom seem to be functionally entirely IT-illiterate.

Mind you, that brings to mind a comment on one of E E 'Doc' Smiths Lensman tales, where a youngster expresses surprise that people in the 20th century were allowed to drive cars without having the faintest idea about calculus. Even now when I stoop and recall that passage, I go 'hmmnn", and yet have never come down conclusively on one side of that argument or the other.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon