Reply to post: Re: As A Consumer, I Should Not Be Forced to Pay Twice

Strike one – First net neutrality gripe against an ISP is nixed by FCC

Andrew Orlowski (Written by Reg staff)

Re: As A Consumer, I Should Not Be Forced to Pay Twice

@Big Ed

"And under true net neutrality, all traffic should be treated equally and routed over the best connections available at the time."

The problem (as we've explained many times for almost a decade), is that the public internet is hardly touched by most traffic these days - most traffic goes over private arrangements. Traditional peering depended on reasonably symmetric traffic flows. Video changed all that. So if you're delivering media into the network, and you want to keep your customers, you pay.

What this means is that for you to enforce your preferred regime of traffic rules, by necessity you will be regulating private agreements. This requires clear definitions of harm, etc, that nobody has bothered to think up yet.

I am not arguing that you shouldn't try - although personally I would think the disadvantages outweigh any benefits - but that you should know what you are doing before you start. Otherwise, you are making it up as you go along. If you want a lasting "net neutrality" regulatory regime, that is bulletproof and passes through Congress, you need to define this stuff clearly.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019