Reply to post: Re: Price

Microsoft's HoloLens: Here by 2016, mere three THOUSAND dollar price

Known Hero

Re: Price

"Yes and Google Glass took the world by storm didn't it?"

The $1,500 price tag despite the bill of materials for the parts being only a little over $150. Maybe people felt the issue of a 2d overlay shouldn't cost that much.

Funny that google dropped glass on 15 Jan 2015 and Hololens was announced Jan 25th ....

I may be reading into that, but I would say they knew what was coming and knew MS had beat them hands down on AR, although I still believe the Glass has a place in techland and would still like a pair.

Given the choice though .... Bye Bye glass Hello Holo

And having a high cost for the Dev kit helps ensure you don't have every Tom Dick and Harry going out and thinking quick lets make a bunch of shitty apps with prancing dogs and adverts, (yes in future it will most likely be a problem) But it will ensure that with a decent cost involved people are going to look to maximise the return on investment and make some high quality apps, (im looking at you android store !!!)

Oh you mean like a phone? It doesn't justify the cost. Furthermore, if it is more like a super-light computer it bodes ill for the retail price of this thing if/when it finally sells. It bodes so ill in fact that I wonder if this is Project Natal / Kinect all over again where the final product was severely gimped to make it affordable.

No not at all, more like i7 territory with Nvidia GPU's & Liquid cooling (hopefully without searing all your hair off) I would be very surprised if these machines were light at all (no pun intended;)).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon