Reply to post: Another Dropped Case

Top telematics: Black box helps driver swerve speeding fine

Dan McIntyre

Another Dropped Case

I've also had a speeding case dropped by the prosecution in court after I appeared and provided evidence which contradicted their own, the details being:

Letter arrive announcing I'd been photographed travelling at 93mph in a 50mph zone. Bit strange I thought so I checked out the date and time and found I was still at work at the date and time given, some 40 miles away from the location where the photo was taken. My car was with me (I'm a wheelchair user and am the only person insured to drive the car so it stays with me).

Gathered evidence to prove this - shift rota, emails I'd sent to others around the time of the offence and most damningly an extract from the swipe card system used at work showing I was still in the building.

Turned up at court and presented this evidence. All the prosecution had was an extremely blurred photo of my car, showing the speed as 80mph and a different date and time. when this was pointed out (by the magistrate's adviser person) to the court the prosecution withdrew immediately and was given a talking to about wasting court time by the magistrate.

I was given a stern "you've been lucky this time" mention.

The point is, always challenge if you believe you're in the right. They are not all-powerful and are subject to errors, both human and technological.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon