Reply to post: Re: Personal anti-favourite-

The ONE WEIRD TRICK which could END OBESITY

kiwimuso
Facepalm

Re: Personal anti-favourite-

@ hplasm

Yeah, but it means that us normal folks then can eat all of a portion without feeling stuffed, or have more than one course.

I've never understood the rationale of a restaurant which has starters, mains (or entrees if you are American) and desserts of making portions so huge that people are put off having 3 courses.

Which reminds me of the first meal I had in Texas the day I arrived to work for an airline based around DFW. I was taken to a Bennigans Bar & Grill. First night living in the U.S. I've gotta have something typically American I thought - other than burgers. Cajun Chicken for $8. Just the thing I thought. It arrived with TWO whole chicken breasts mounded on it plus, I counted (and this is VERY rare for an American restaurant) 8 different vegetable. Vegetables! What were they thinking!! 2 different sorts of potatoes though. The ubiquitous fries and mashed (whipped) I seem to remember.

Having also come from a background where you don't waste food, I ate the lot. I soon learned about portion control in the U.S. - or seemingly lack of it.

Also reminds me of another Texas tale. We subscribed to Texas Highways magazine which purported to show Texas' apparent beauty. I was struck by an advert for a steak restaurant up in the Texas panhandle (near Lubbock I believe). The big attraction of their menu was a steak dish which if the customer managed to completely eat together with all the trimmings, would get it free. The size of the steak was - wait for it - 72 oz. That is to say, 4 1/2 lbs or just over 2 kilos of meat - in ONE serving.

As I said at the time when I read it, in most other countries that's a fucking family roast!!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon