Reply to post: Re: Corbyn's broader and more useful aims?

It's the white heat of the tech revolution, again!

Commswonk Silver badge

Re: Corbyn's broader and more useful aims?

Tim Worstal wrote: Houses are not expensive, land is not expensive, land with permissions to build upon is grossly expensive. It the planning that costs the cash therefore.

I assume that you mean "houses are not expensive to build, which isn't quite the same thing.

There is a plot of land adjacent to Commswonk Castle, smaller in area than our patch and all the others on the road. It was offered for sale at offers over £40k, which to my way of thinking puts it out of the "not expensive" bracket. Admittedly it had outline planning permission with it, along with a chunk of money allocated for Community Infrastructure Levy"; doubtless when a full planning application is submitted another chunk of money will be required for the same reason.

I strongly suspect that the "grossly expensive" applied to land with planning permission is a function of the CIL element, which is little more than a mandatory bribe to the local authority. I often wonder just how much the cost of housing is a function of this front - loading of new build costs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020