Reply to post: Re: My photo my copyright

PETA monkey selfie lawsuit threatens wildlife photography, warns snapper at heart of row

Vic

Re: My photo my copyright

Post-processing can be as pertinent to copyright as the original photograph since you can end up with quite a different picture as a result of some adjustments. IOW, artful adjustment of a photograph can qualify as "sweat of the brow" if the result is significant.

I've no argument with that. The point I was making - with a link to substantiate the point - was that "sweat of the brow" is almost always[1] insufficient to qualify for copyright protection; it is the *creative* part of the work - whether in original frmaing or in post-processing - that gets protected. It matters not whether you've spent a minute or a year working on it - what matters is whether or not there is creative content to be protected.

Vic.

[1] "Almost always" because the EU has, quite bizzarely, created a "Database Directive" to afford some protection to some works that were previously non-copyrightable. This was not available at all before 1996.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon