Reply to post: Re: Agreed but you forgot loneliness.

Things you should know about the hard work of home working

BillG
Meh

Re: Agreed but you forgot loneliness.

The banter you get isn't just important for keeping in the loop - it's also important for your own sanity.

I'm a funny, happy guy. I like to joke around and socialize more than the average techie. Then I started running my own business from home. At first it was great, I had a blast but by year five I realized my social skills were atrophying. My GF broke up with me because we couldn't communicate anymore. By year eight I could not carry on a conversation. The loneliness was overwhelming.

I started looking for an office job, I knew I needed to get myself into an office. I was surprised to find out that many companies have a policy of not hiring those that worked from home for more than five years, the reason being "they have trouble fitting in". I finally found a position, moved into my desk, and immediately started over-reacting to the highly toxic office politics. After getting in trouble a few times I've settled down and I'm back to being the happy, joking, socializing guy I was before.

If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon