Reply to post:

You want the poor to have more money? Well, doh! Splash the cash

J.G.Harston Silver badge

"people have to pay for higher incomes for the poor... we don't think that their willingness is all that great"

Yeah, the shop staff in Aldi should be paid more! What, you mean I'll have to pay more for my milk? Bugger that!

Universal Income has a problem getting past the Daily Mail purple retired Colonels.

"it's going to take rather more than that 2lbs of bread to get me out the door of a winter's morning"

What, how **DARE** the workers not actually work???? Don't they realise that's their entire purpose in life?????

A universal income?? Giving slackers money for nothing??? How ***DARE*** people have enough money to be able to not work???? We must force everybody to work, make it illegal to have enough money to not work, make it illegal to pay anybody more than enough to keep them alive just for that day's work, make it illegal to have savings and pensionsl!!! (brain explodes)

I can't quite live on £130 a week. I could if I got rid of all the expenses I have that I incure by attempting to get paid employment, but that's sort-of the point, isn't it. It's enough to let you just tick over and not starve, and if you have any aspirations to more than that you can choose to seek somebody willing to pay you for something.

Commenting on the post upthread about a single person easily living on £15k/£6.5k/whatever, but not somebody with extra mouths to feed, I thought the whole point of a universal income was that it would be universal - so those extra mouths would have their own universal income to pay to feed them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon