Reply to post: iOS adblockers

'To read this page, please turn off your ad blocker...'

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

iOS adblockers

As recently as a year ago viewing the web on an iPhone was a pleasant experience. Mobile advertising was becoming a big business, but most of the ads were unobtrusive. Sure, there were a few sites here and there that abused it with ads that cover the page or scroll across it and make it hard to hit the tiny 'x' to close it. The worst abusers tried to send you to a page to download their app, apparently not realizing that only results in a dialog to open another app (the app store app) that you can cancel. But such things were only a few percent of sites, most did not cause a problem at all and I didn't wish for an ad blocker.

But lately it has become a horror, with more and more crap being slung on a higher and higher percentage of sites, and worse as the ads slowly load and cause the page to reflow you miss the link you were trying to click on because it moves between the time your brain thinks "click there and aims your finger" and the time your finger hit, so you click on the ad! I somehow suspect they have arranged things deliberately to make that happen...

They have no one to blame but themselves, Apple didn't support adblockers before because they weren't really necessary, but the shit the advertisers have been feeding us lately has made it necessary. Too many PC users had installed adblockers so they started pushing crap on mobile, and now they're going to wail and cry about how we're "stealing" from them by reading content without viewing ads. If they check for an ad blocker and won't let me on the site, I'll just leave the page. Almost all content is available elsewhere, I'll go where they don't check.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon