Reply to post: Re: Let me know when it works on computers.

Photoshop for 40 quid: Affinity Photo pushes pixels further than most

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Let me know when it works on computers.

Also, there aren't exactly many user upgradable parts in there, are there?

I think there are two separate answers to that, as there is commercial as well as domestic use. If your hobby is taking computers apart and exchanging bits of it, yes, Macs will probably not rank high on the systems you should buy. OTOH, if you write a machine off over 2 or 3 years and replace it, the replacement of parts is only relevant if it breaks and warranty cannot sort it out - I have not seen a need to upgrade specs in the span of 3 years so that is not a decision factor for me.

As for costs, if you ONLY look at the hardware there is no denying that a decent spec Macbook is expensive. If you start looking at the cost of the software packages for it, the time it saves not having to fight an UI and the simple absence of endless updates and patches the number suddenly becomes much more acceptable, also because you don't have to manage software licenses in case one of your employees decides to have fun and call in a FAST raid. From a Total Cost of Ownership perspective, Macs and PCs differ so little that moving to OSX ended up being a no brainer.

Spend the same, yet have less hassle getting work done? Easy choice IMHO.

Of course, if you mainly run pirated software you will probably be cheaper off running Windows, but that would not really be a honest comparison.

Last but not least, that non-changeable parts thing can also work to your advantage. Set up a modern Macbook with a boot password, enable Filevault and use a decent login password and it becomes a waste of time to steal it as it cannot be reformatted for a new user. You cannot wipe the SSD as the boot password stops you getting to the recovery tools, and as it's soldered in you cannot replace the drive for a blank one so it will always show the user details (at least, mine does on logon). All of that is built in, by the way - no need to buy extra software...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon