Reply to post: Re: Which is worse: Windows 7/8.1 with these 3 updates, or Windows 10 with custom settings?

Microsoft backports data slurp to Windows 7 and 8 via patches

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Which is worse: Windows 7/8.1 with these 3 updates, or Windows 10 with custom settings?

You have a good question, though the answer might be a matter of opinion.

Windows 10 does at least have the virtue of being up-front about the privacy settings (provided, of course, that you go looking).

On the other hand, the only permission available for Windows 7 is the CEIP opt-in. I can't remember whether it defaulted to IN or OUT, but I imagine Microsoft are targetting the millions of people who wouldn't have a clue what CEIP stands for and who happen to have it set to IN.

Pretty scummy really. When Windows 7 came out I imagine plenty of people who were aware of CEIP thought of it as a minor feature. Now of course it is anything but that, but Microsoft are happily extending the features that the Opt-in sanctions, without any indication to the user of what is happening.

I'm just wondering now when we're going to start seeing new optional updates for Vista. Gotta catch 'em all, after all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019