Reply to post: Re: 4000 browser tabs

Windows 10: A sysadmin speaks his brains – and says MEH

Geschnutz

Re: 4000 browser tabs

While I agree that 4000 browser tabs is excessive, I can't say it won't happen to me someday too. As it is, my laptop is old-and-slow enough that it crawls when I have as few as thirty or thirty-five open (and a similar number of open apps in the Taskbar).

That said, my phone is much more powerful, and right now I have well over 100 Chrome tabs open there, some of which have been open for months, preserved, thank God, across several Chrome crashes-and-restarts (though, in the latest restart, just this afternoon, Chrome seems to have lost the ability to RESPOND TO MY INPUT). Hundreds of other, earlier, open tabs have not been as lucky, and have been LOST in the aforesaid Chrome crashes... Basically, I open a lot of things I don't have time (or privacy, or headphones, or whatever) to pursue in full at the moment they appear to me, and bookmarking them is of limited utility because I virtually never LOOK AT my bookmark (of which there are tens of thousands). Browser hiistory is of limited use because, as mentioned, some of those tabs were originally opened MONTHS ago and have therefore fallen out the end of the pipe. BIGGER QUEUES, DAMMIT.

So I can perfectly damn-well understand how it could happen that someone might have 4,000 tabs open, if he had the ABILITY to do so. I would.

That said -- maybe he deliberately opened 4,000 tabs JUST TO SEE WHAT WOULD HAPPEN. I'd do that, too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon