Reply to post: Re: On occasion

Sysadmin ignores 25 THOUSAND patches, among other sins

Danny 14

Re: On occasion

60 users? It would have been easier to make a new up to date golden image and redeploy via FOG. Office updates alone will swamp a PC for an hour or so "in the background" never mind service packs (4 years of updates will probably include a service pack) WSUS for 60 users isn't that network intensive, same for SQL, if it has enough RAM and disk space then probably enough. Exchange really needs its own server.

I inherited a network 10 years ago running a pair of 2k3 servers, both were P4 xeons (poweredge 2800) with 2 gig of RAM each. One ran IIS, SQL and profiles (domain controller) the other had exchange 2003 and was a domain controller AND the enterprise cert server plus shared drives.

No central AV, each of the 200 desktops updated individually.

My god, you have never experienced pain until you have seen exchange trying to run on 2gig of RAM. (It was a school with 80 staff and 600 pupils). Apparently they had spent 100k upgrading the network 3 years previous. I wanted to see receipts for what he had spent. The majority went on new cabling (from cat5e to cat5e) and new network cabinets oh and a silly great overprovisioned massively tape drive for each server.

At least the 100gig RAID 5 server drives were backed up onto tape each night.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon