Reply to post:

Canadians taking to spying on their spies

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

A couple (or maybe more) of thoughts here.

" a Prime Minister with a majority can simply order laws into place. Party members that don't vote as the Prime Minister demands won't be party members any more."

Same in the UK. The party whip provides a very strong impetus for junior politicians to vote along party lines rather than with their constituents desires.

Should an MP not follow 'the whip' they can 'lose the whip', be kicked out of the party, and, in effect (in the UK at least) lose their seat. So the PM is an actual dictator, He decides the policy that the UK government is going to follow, if you don't like it, you are no longer a member of the government. And you lose all of those wonderful perks that that entails. (Search Tony Blair for details.)

Disenfranchisement

(first, I'm surprised I spelt it right. I have spelt it right haven't I?)

How many people don't vote because their vote doesn't mean any thing? How many MP's have promised things that simply don't happen? How many election policies are 'forgotten' because of "political expediency"? Can our, and your, voters sack their MP's because they're not doing what the MP's promised? So many commentators have commentated about big corporations and lobbyists holding disproportionate influence over our governments (which ever country we are in.) All of this leads to disenfranchisement, the feeling that "my vote doesn't matter at all." And so why vote at all?

Full disclosure.

I am a UK born subject, a veteran (RN), now a professional, and, what one might consider a true blue tory. I don't vote, what's the point? Our 'politicians don't represent us, they don't protect us, and follow their own self serving interests at our expense. I will not cry when the revolution comes.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon