Reply to post: but I don't *want* to

Spotify climbs down on new terms and conditions

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

but I don't *want* to

I cancelled my subscription to Spotify today, and requested the account deleted after many years as a user, both so-called 'freemium' and paid.

This statement comes literally as the account has just been sent on its final journey around the u-bend.

I'm sad to see it go, but here's the thing: I don't care how many fine-grain controls you give me to control what data of mine goes where - the point is, **I don't want you to siphon it at all**

Spotify, you are a music service. I wish to pay you money in exchange, for...well, music. And that's about as complex as the relationship need get, but there you were saying my money wasn't good enough. Instead, you want levels of access to my devices I wouldn't let my friends have, and hey - you haven't even bought me dinner.

Alas, this was the wafer thin mint moment that has finally made me snap after having to go to inordinate lengths to stop Windows 10 from peering in through the bathroom window when I take a shower. In this case, I just can't fathom that Spotify should need this level of data from me - in addition to my money - any more than I can my toaster needing it to gauge my reaction to crumpets and send the data to Warburton's.

The functional equivalence is the same - service. You take what you need as far as I am concerned - that's payment and address and that's your lot.

See, the thing is, vendors now bake-in so many ways to accidentally enable stuff that unless you have time to monitor all this crap, it's too easy to start sharing stuff you never intended to. And time is not something I have a lot of - I just want to switch on and play.

What a pity - it may well shake out ultimately as Spotify's PR team dayus horribilus, but it's too late here. I don't know if Deezer is any better, but I am going to give it a go.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon