Reply to post: Let me guess...made in China?

Exploding Power Bars: EE couldn't even get the CE safety mark right

Peter Simpson 1
Mushroom

Let me guess...made in China?

How many times do we need to reiterate this: if it's made in China, treat any certification marks with extreme skepticism.

I've seen China manufactured devices with FCC compliance marks. Only problem is that under the FCC mark, you're supposed to print a code which identifies the manufacturer and the device. And you need to have submitted the device to the FCC for testing before that code is issued. What's a poor Chinese manufacturer to do? Use a code they found on another device, of course. The FCC in an uncharacteristic display of efficiency, has a website on which you can input the code and see the manufacturer name and product model number associated with it. Surprised they don't match what you hold in your hand? You shouldn't be, if it was made in China.

Here's a test. Take a CE-marked mains-powered consumer device made in China. Disassemble. See how many creepage and clearance spacing violations you can find. Then ask yourself: did a competent safety testing organization ever see the inside of this product? We won't even get into the voltage ratings on the capacitors.

iPhone charger teardown: http://www.righto.com/2014/05/a-look-inside-ipad-chargers-pricey.html

I'm sure there are many fine products built in China. My iPhone is one of them. But the "do anything you have to to make money" attitude still seems strong in China. Until that attitude is changed, there will be exploding products made there.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon