Reply to post:

Windows 10: A sysadmin speaks his brains – and says MEH

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

As usual, the comments live up to their entertainment value, even more so than the snarky rant in the article! Some serious whinging going on here!

I've currently bootcamped Windows 10 on a MacBook Pro, using Apple's bootcamp drivers from early-2014. So far so good after about a week. It definitely feels faster than the Win 7 it was upgraded from. All my programs were kept and everything works, albeit most of my software is no older than 5 years. There is a lot of new 'apps', a lot of which I probably won't use. But, then again, OS X was bundled with a whole lot of stuff I never use as well; iMovie, Garage Band, Photos, etc.

To each their own, but new Start menu is good for me, much better than the static and drill-down style Windows 7 Start menu. I keep about 4 live tiles going, unpinned all the stuff I don't want, and in total I have about 12 tiles of various sizes in my menu. The 3 applications I use most are pinned to the taskbar (one of them is OneNote, which is way better than the OS X version). There have been 3 updates that have been automatically pushed down to me, but none of them forced me to reboot or interrupted my task at hand. I think they will do a backflip on this automatic updates thing. The new (to Windows) Task View feature is also pretty good, plus the virtual desktops. Even in OS X, I log in with my Apple ID so it's no different here that I have to use a Microsoft Account. Again, not a big issue for me. Some of the privacy stuff looks quite intrusive, but I think the permissions required of some apps on my phone are way more so. I think Microsoft will probably backflip on the privacy stuff too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon