Reply to post: Re: Is there a standard to aspire to?

Sane people, I BEG you: Stop the software defined moronocalypse

Vic

Re: Is there a standard to aspire to?

By comparison, with programming/software development I'm guessing there aren't the same drivers to make an accredited output.

Exactly.

You could specify, for example, some subset of DO-178B; the very act of going through that process would focus the team onto software assurance. It need even not be completed - just thinking about QA is a huge step forward for many groups.

But you're unlikely to get this in consumer software; management are always worried about time-to-market[1], so this sort of overhead is frequently considered "bad for business"[2]. So it doesn't get done.

Vic.

[1] Unsurprisingly, cutting corners everywhere usually leads to shoddy development practices, which actually *increase* time-to-market; a little more discipline in the planning stage[3] would reap rewards when it comes to getting the product out of the door. As an old colleague of mine used to say, "A weeek's worth of keyboard-bashing can sometimes preclude the need for an hour's thought".

[2] It always amazes me how certain types of management always think that timing is everything - so they'll happily release utter crap, so long as it releases on time. I've yet to meet a customer who's been pleased to accept a steaming pile of turds on the appointed day...

[3] I keep coming across dev teams who claim to be "agile"; I've rarely seen proper agile development. "Agile" means you accept the need for some spec changes in the light of (frequent) customer feedback; most teams I've met seem to think it means "Don't bother with specs, designs, or documentation, just get typing" :-(

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019