Reply to post: Re: Count me in!

Oracle brews perpetual, all-you-can-eat database licence

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Count me in!

The issue with Oracle was not seat/processor licenses only, often it was "options". Oracle comes with several built-in features you can't use until you get a formal license for that "option". Exactly, features are already there, you don't need to install an add-on or enter a new license key, just you can't use it without a piece of paper stating you can do it. Crazy? Yes, but that's how it works.

One is (was?) for example partitioning. If your DBA doesn't know Oracle licensing well enough, and starts to think partitioning some large tables is good, and does it without an option license, an Oracle audit will spot it and ask you money. Other options include(d) Advanced Security (encryption of data and communication channel), RAC (clustering), standy databases, some tuning/diagnostic features, and so on. Just a few are true add-ons to install separately (my last big experience with Oracle licensing was with 11g, thereby something may have changed since 12c)

Thereby having a flat fee letting you use any option if you start to need it without going through another round of licensing talks, would be welcome by many DBAs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon