Reply to post: Re: I wonder....

If you installed Windows 10 and like privacy, you checked the defaults, right? Oh dear

Kobus Botes

Re: I wonder....

@ Timmy B

...I give information away but what I do is with my consent...

Ahh, but then you DO care. The point is that you have looked at the issues, assessed the implications and decided that it is not worth (in most cases) your while worrying about it. That is OK.

I, on the other hand, refuse to have a Facebook account, or a Twitter account, or a Watsapp account or a Skype account. And I keep location awareness off on my phone, as well as WiFi - both only gets turned on when I need to or have control over what is sent out (as far as it is in my means).

That is also why I post here under my own name (I also have another account, or post anonymously when I do not want to be easily linked to whatever I have to say, for various reasons). But I am under no illusion that The Reg can connect the dots and know who I am, and I am OK with that.

The problem with giving away your privacy, though, is that the vast majority of people who do not care are completely unaware of the possible ramifications (and seemingly also do not really want to think or worry about it). Those of us who do value our privacy therefore stand to lose it, as the majority who do not care will also not do anything about protecting privacy rights, thereby giving your and my privacy away. That is why those of us who have assessed the problem should fight to keep it and make others aware of what is really happening.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019